* I suggest calling the farms ahead of time and see if there are apples available. *
Places to go apple picking:
1. Harbes Farm and Orchard : located at 5698 Sound Avenue in Riverhead
“The whole family can enjoy picking from 8 different apple varieties on a 5 acre expanse of trees. Take a break from apple picking to enjoy a scenic tour of the orchard by catching a ride on our new Apple Express Hayride! Admission to orchard is $8 per person and includes a 1/4 peck of apples and a ride on our apple express to the best apple picking.”
2. The Milk Pail: located at 50 Horsemill Lane, Water Mill, NY 11976
Phone: (631) 537-2565
“Once at the Farm 1. Purchase your bag for $41.00 2. Check out the apples available for picking.
3. Follow the signs and streamer poles marking the rows in the orchard for the specific varieties and pick your apples to fill your bag.
The trees are easy for people of all ages to pick apples. No ladders are needed.”
3. Windy Acres Farm: located at 3810 Middle Country Road in Caverton, NY
“Apple Picking is available till they are out. They have delicious pies and doughnuts as well.”
4. Davis Peach Farm: located at 561 Hulse Landing Road in Wading River
“Today the Davis Peach Farm features over 80 varieties of peaches, over 50 varieties of plums, 30 varieties of nectarines, and 20varieties of apples. Plus, you have to try the plumcots, pluots, and apriums.”
5. Woodside Orchards: located at 729 Main Road Aquebogue, NY 11931
“Bring your family and friends to enjoy the day on the North Fork by picking your own apples, at either our Jamesport or Aquebogue locations. After a visit to the orchard, stop by a local winery, visit a corn maze or pick your own pumpkins, all within 2 miles of the orchard. Jamesport is open for U-pick weekends and certain holiday’s only. Aquebogue is open for U-pick seven days a week. The cost is $15.00 per peck.”
6. Hank’s Pumpkintown: located at 240 Montauk Highway Water Mill, NY 11976
“Enjoy a wide variety of fresh picked apples, cider donuts, hot & cold apple cider, candy apples, fresh baked pies, cookies, cupcakes & more. Picking apples at our apple orchard is an autumn event your entire family will enjoy! APPLE PICKING: $20 for a one peck bag”
7. Seven Pounds Orchard: located at 65 Seven Pounds Road, Water Mill
“Families who are Members of the U-Pick Club may pick their own strawberries, raspberries, cherries, blueberries, apples, peaches and occasionally other crops such as pumpkins. It is $20 per family to join the annual U-pick club, then $30 per half bushel.”
9. Lewin Farms’ : located at 812 Sound Avenue, Wading River, NY 11792
“Lewin Farms is a 1100 acre, family owned & operated farm that has been on Long Island for four generations. We were the first pick your own farm on Long Island, and we are continuing this tradition with pick your own strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, peaches, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, apples, corn maze, pumpkins and cut your own Christmas trees.”
But, If your goal is to get a lot of apples then make sure to get out there early in September or mid September.
If it is Pumpkins you want then you can start picking anytime from mid September till after Halloween.