This is a great indoor water activity.
It takes a little prep on Momees part beforehand but your child will love their Sailboats on Ice when they are complete.
What you need is:
Solo Cups, Flexible Straws, Construction Paper, Sharpie, Scotch Tape and Scissors
1. Bend the flexible part of your straw as shown below
2. Then scotch tape the straw to the cup or you can make mini boats using an ice cube tray
3. Fill the cup up about 1/3 of the way and fill the ice cube tray with water place in freezer for at least 4 hours ( I left mine in over night).
The ice cube tray sailboats take less time since they are smaller about 2 1/2 hours to freeze completely.
4. Remove from cup by running cold water around the outside of the cup and remove from ice cube tray the way you would normally remove an ice cube.
5. Next, make your sail using construction paper as shown below.
6. Cut out the sails and using the scissors make a slit in the top and bottom of the sail so that you can get the straw through it.
7. Slip the straw through the sail
8. Put into a glass bowl and add a little water to the bowl so that the ice is gliding along the bottom.
Mia loved that she had a big boat and a little boat floating.
Over a little time the ice cube will melt and your child will love playing with the cold ice cube and water.
A perfect rainy day activity. I saw this on Pinterest and had to try it and I am so glad I did ; )
Have fun sailing your Sailboats on Ice!