A healthy and fit lifestyle is important for both parents and their families. By prioritizing our well-being, we can not only set a positive example for our children but also ensure that we have the energy to keep up with everything that’s on our plate. In this article, let’s explore five daily routines that can help all of us stay healthy and fit:
Morning Exercise Routine
Starting the day with exercise or moving about offers a lot of benefits. It can kickstart your metabolism, energize you quickly and sets a positive mood for the day ahead. The thing is, even a simple exercise routine will net you these benefits and can be done even with a busy schedule.
Consider starting with these exercise routines:
- Stretching. Regular stretching helps make you more flexible and improves the mobility of your joints and muscles. This allows you to move freely throughout the day and perform tasks on your to-do list with ease.
- Cardio. While cardio can be reminiscent of long and exhausting running/sprinting, walking/jogging in place or jumping jacks is a great way to get your blood flowing.
- Strength training. Getting strong isn’t just for gym goers, you can get strong anywhere. As long as you have space to move, squats and push-ups are good enough to build muscle. Once you gain a bit more strength, you could try home bodyweight workouts for an additional challenge.
Nutritious Breakfast Routine
Breakfast is often referred to as the most important meal of the day. There is probably some truth here, since a healthy breakfast helps fuel the day and be at your best. Here’s a few things worth mentioning to keep your breakfast as nutritious as it can be:
- Opt for whole grains and fiber-rich foods. Classic examples like oatmeal or whole wheat bread are a good source of both. This helps promote healthy bowel movements, help you feel much more satisfied and regulate blood sugar levels.
- Get enough protein. Protein-rich foods like eggs, meat and beans are good ways to mix up your protein intake. Protein helps your body repair itself, strengthen your immunity and help you feel fuller for longer.
- Add in fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are full of vitamins and minerals that are vital to maintaining good overall health. These also have fiber and are often high in water content which helps to stay hydrated.
Active Break Routine
Most parents work on jobs that require a lot of sitting for extended periods of time. Sitting itself isn’t that bad but because we do so much of it, it can negatively affect our health. Here’s a few suggestions to keep your more active throughout the day:
- Active breaks. A good way to introduce some activity is to add in active breaks. Taking short walks, engaging in stretching exercises and reminding yourself to get up every now and then can help counteract the effects of a sedentary lifestyle.
- Getting the kids involved. The more you involve other members of the family during these breaks, the more it can encourage movement throughout the day. These quick games or movement breaks can be a great bonding activity too.
- Getting a standing or walking desk isn’t a bad idea either. Standing or walking desks allow you to take advantage of more movement as you’re working. You won’t be standing or walking all of the time but having these type of desks makes it easier to do.
Healthy Snack Routine
Snacking is a common habit so it’s a good idea to find ways to choose healthier options over unhealthy ones. Before you reach out for the bag of chips, here’s a few suggestions to make choosing healthier snacks easier for both you and your kids:
- Have fruits and nuts on the table. The easier it is to access fruits and nuts, the easier it is to eat more of them. Healthy snacks also ensure you’re getting essential nutrients and minerals.
- Yogurt as an ice cream alternative. Yogurt contains protein and calcium but has a lot of beneficial bacteria that supports a healthy gut.
- Homemade smoothies. Smoothies are a fresh way to add flavor to dessert without all the sugar that usually comes with it. This allows you to eat more fruits while still tasting sweet in the most natural way possible.
Evening Wind-Down Routine
Having an evening routine is an essential part of getting better sleep quality. Getting quality sleep is the benchmark for overall well-being and staying healthy. Here’s a few suggestions to help you create your own evening routine:
- Reduce your screen time. Things like blue light can affect your sleeping patterns so it’s a good idea to reduce your screen time as you’re getting closer to turning in.
- Replace the screen with a book. Calming activities like book reading or meditation is a good way to relax your mind and body, which will make it easier to fall asleep.
- Prepping your environment. The more relaxing your environment is, the easier it is to feel the same. Create a peaceful environment by dimming the lights, having comfortable sleepwear and cool room temperature.
Incorporating any of these daily routines into your life can make a big difference in your overall health and fitness. There’s no need to do these all at once, choose one and see how it works for you. Once the new routine becomes a solid part of your day, try adding another. The more you involve the rest of the family, the more you can remind each other about the habits you’re building, while also reaping the benefits.
Embrace these routines, involve your family, and enjoy the long-term benefits of a healthy and fit lifestyle.