Get to know a local Long Island Momee who is an influential children’s author with a wonderful Meet the Artist Book Series.
I instantly became a fan of the Artist Book Series for children. A Mother’s Art World is an amazing way for children to fall in love with art and art history. The goal is to teach children how to “speak art”.
Sima describes herself as a creator, but a mother first. She believes that we teach our children, yet learn so much from them by observing, listening, and dreaming. Her children all have contributed to A Mother’s Art World in different ways.
Sima is pictured above with her husband Jason and her three children Paris, Logan and Jordan.
There are 3 books in the series available for purchase.
A Day With Degas– “the book’s reader learns the importance of drawing, erasing and redrawing from Degas while using imagination to improve his or her art.”
Buy on Amazon—-> click here
A Rendezvous with Renoir -“follows the adventures of a young painter in Ms. Simone’s art class, named Mary. She and her friend, Manet, are studying the life and work of the famous impressionist painter, Pierre-August Renoir.”
Buy on Amazon—-> click here
A Visit with Van Gogh -“features our newest character, Mays who is an artist and poet in Ms. Simone’s art class. While learning about post-impressionist artist, Vincent van Gogh, Mays begins to feel he has a lot in common with the artist.”
Buy on Amazon—–> click here
Now let’s get to know Sima Levy…
1. Growing up who was your favorite artist (before you started studying art history)?
2. What was your inspiration for writing your first book and what made you choose that particular artist?
“I write the way I teach. I teach in a non-intimidating fashion, and am often praised for the approach. Art/art history is becoming scarce in many schools, yet students achieve more academically, and in standardized tests; when receiving an art education. I wrote all of my books for kids and adults in mind. Keeping the flow easy, fun, magical and informative. I chose to write about Edgar Degas first, because my daughter Paris is a competitive dancer, and Degas painted /sculpted ballerinas. He painted them to capture many of the different lines, they offer in their movements. Paris and I have viewed many of Degas artworks at the d’Orsay (Paris) last summer. It was fascinating for me to watch my little girl observing his masterpieces. She related to Degas the most, and enhanced my desire to write about him first.”
3. Your three children and your husband help you come up with ideas for the books. What type of art would you say each child likes most (whether it be art, music, or dance)?
4. Did your love for art start when you lived in Israel as a young child or when you came to America when you were 8 years old?
5. Where do you currently teach? And what is it that you teach?
6. Is their another book set to come out soon? And can you let us know what artist will be the focus?
“They are two more books coming soon: A Moment With Monet, and A Sunny Sunday With Seurat.”
Contact Sima Levy: Email: email@example.com
“Like” MAW on Facebook —-> click here