“This big fruit deserves it’s own big day. And, so we give pause to celebrate watermelons on National Watermelon Day.
Sweet and tasty, watermelons are one of summer’s favorite fruit. It’s standard fare at picnics. While watermelon is over 90% water, it sure tastes good.”
Check out the National Watermelon Board website for awesome recipes, carving tips and fun facts.
According to Guinness World Records, the world’s heaviest watermelon was grown by Lloyd Bright of Arkadelphia, Arkansas in 2005, weighing in at 268.8 lbs (121.93 kg). Lloyd grew and weighed in for the Annual Hope, Arkansas Big Watermelon Contest on September 3, 2005.
Check out some awesome carvings done with a watermelon and how to instructions by clicking —> here
- August 3 – National Watermelon Day (ireport.cnn.com)
- Watermelon Martini (3martinislater.com)
- Wacky for Watermelon (fillyourplate.org)
- 5 Ways to Celebrate National Watermelon Day (kcet.org)
- Recipe: Watermelon Popsicles – Recipes from The Kitchn (thekitchn.com)